Here are my favourite posts from the barefoot blogosphere this week.
To put this list together, I read a lot of posts during the week and some of the writing is superb. I aspire to blog with such feeling and economy. Thea Gavin has made it is post of the week again. Her post is one of the best barefoot posts I have read since starting this adventure.
I try and just list posts from bloggers but every now and again something turns up which I think needs a mention.
Have a browse, there is something for everyone.
1. Post of the week goes to Thea Gavin at the Barefoot Wandering and Writing blog for her post on handling rough terrain
I don’t usually list a blog so soon after a mention on the list but this is a fantasatic post and well worth reading. Following last week’s post another blogger, Patricia Bowmer had commented on Thea’s blog and asked her about handling difficult terrain. Thea’s answer is honest and inspirational and gives me hope that one day I will be able to handle the rough stuff.
2. http://birthdayshoes.com/impromptu-luna-ats-sandals-repair – I have just ordered my first pair of Luna sandals and they on their way from the US as I type. I am quite excited about this and have been doing a fair bit of reading. This post shows how creative we become when faced with a difficult situation out on the trail. Barefoot and minimalist running is not without its problems and it isn’t all plain sailing. The more posts with problems and minor disasters in the better. It shows that we can carry on and be barefoot regardless mostly with a grin on our faces.
3. http://www.anivair.com/jungle/2012/08/27/barefoot-running-part-2-the-biology-of-running-and-hunting/ – From the Fueling Fitness blog. It is a summary of the ancestral reasons behind barefoot running. Most of us have read a fair bit on the subject but I never tire of hearing it from the point of view of a genuine blogger. The blog is full of good advice on a number of subjects. – I know it is a good sign when I find myself sitting reading a few of the other posts on there. I will be going back to check on new content. Already some good new stuff.
4. http://freegrowthblog.com/438/reprint-natures-magic-bullet/ – This is a reprint of a very early post on the freegrowth blog. Karl from the blog says, ‘Get ready to have your shoes blown off and enjoy’. I did.
The original post shows the link between shoes and many of the degenerative conditions that affect the developed world. It is a long, informative piece. You may never wear shoes again. I will certainly be encouraging my kids to be barefoot as much as they can.
5. http://www.cornwallphysio.co.uk/physiotherapy/barefoot-running-knee-pain-a-runners-story/ This is from Lou’s Cornwall Physio site. I have been having a few knee concerns and came across this post in my trawl for advice. Coincidentaly, Lou has given me some excellent advice by commenting on my blog a few times in the past.
This is a runner’s account of how good barefoot technique helped him through his knee pain. It gives me heart and is shoving me gently towards getting some good bareoot coaching. Thanks, Lou.